Home clinic- and Research Yields The application process

The application process

The application process

  1. Become a member of IFMSA-Sweden

It requires membership in IFMSA-Sweden to search our exchanges. You become a member by registering at member portal for your lokalort. Membership is free and allows you to optionally access the newsletter on internship exchanges, other working and see what happens on your lokalort.

  1. Decide where you want to go!

Current exchange sites can be found under SCOPE/SCORE. Here you can read about the countries we have cooperation with before the next period. You get under our regulations go on no more than an exchange of each (Forskningsutbyten/clinical Exchanges) per year, and we encourage to apply to both!

On Explore pages you will find information about the different countries. Note that we do not have contracts with all countries on the Explore pages!

OBS! It is important that you verify that you are authorized to travel to the countries you search according to their Exchange Conditions and that you can get a visa there and organize until the required documents.

  1. Fill in the application form

From 20 september 2022 when the application is open, you can at any time to fill out and submit the form that is linked below replacement pages clinic- and Research Yields. The locations allocated as prioriteringssystemet after the deadline, which is the 20 October, that all who submit their application t.o.m. 20 October (23.59 Swedish time) belong to the first priority round. Late applications received are ranked first per day, and then according to the priority system. Information about whether you have received a replacement or not will then receive an email from the National Exchange Officer (NEO) eller National Officer of Research Exchange (Noreen) the same day as the place is awarded. Last Minute advertised later and distributed according to the regulations in the priority system, watch out.

  1. If you get an exchange place, pay!

Do you get the green light to the site is free, you should first confirm whether you want the place or not (answer therefore, even if you do not want the place!) and then pay 3000 SEK to IFMSA-Sweden plusgiro 620368-1 before the deadline indicated in the admissions decision, but preferably as early as possible. Write your name and SCOPE (clinic yield) or SCORE (research Outcomes) in the message field. In case of late payment, you lose your place. Most of IFMSA-Sweden's contracts are bilateral, which means that it unilaterally fees specified in the various countries' Exchange Conditions do not apply to Swedish students. If a contract is unilateral, it will be advertised clearly the list of available exchange sites.

  1. Fill in your "Application Form" in the database, and attach documents to your application

After your payment is received by us you will receive an email with login information (username and password) to our exchange database. Here, you will then be able to track your entire application process. The first step involves filling out your electronic entry form (Application Form, OF). Do not forget to attach the documents that the country requires! Descriptions of the most frequently requested documents can be found under the "Documents" tab below.

Most countries accept at present documents in digital form, but it varies slightly. Read through your country's exchange terms carefully – under fliken ”Application documents & deadlines "you can read the documents that country needs to be able to accommodate you. Missing documents or incomplete ones can result in your application not be adopted by the host country, and this is a very important step in the application process! Naming your digital documents so that it is easy to see what's what!

  1. Send your AF with attached documents!

You approve the document by clicking "submit". Deadline for AF specified in the Exchange Conditions for the country you are allocated, check this carefully even then you are assigned your seat as some countries have earlier deadlines (sometimes up to 9 months before the exchange). Deadline for submitting AF is in the 30/12 2022, this because the National exchange officer shall send your completed AF to the host country. It is possible to submit your AF after this date, but if you submit late, you must notify NEO-out ([email protected])/NORE-out ([email protected]) about this.

  1. Send the card of Confirmation.

Within eight weeks before departure (but more often than before) you get a card of Acceptance (THAT) from the country you will be visiting. This is sent to your personal page and contains all the necessary information on which period you get to go, which city you are located in and on the clinic / in which the research group. There is also contact information to students on the spot. When you receive your CA, you must send a card of Confirmation (CC) four weeks before departure. Your CC means a final confirmation that you will go. Here you fill even the details of when and how you arrive in the host country.

  1. Go on a pre-depature training (PDT) either in NH or on your lokalort and then travel away!

IMPORTANT - To be able to go, you must have attended a PDT, otherwise you will not be allowed to go. You can do this for all NH, and once in the spring semester at the local resort. Have you gone to the once so you never need to go the more.

Have a wonderful and then come home safe and sound! Upon your return is mandatory:

  • MRSA itself testa (for medical students who participated in care outside the Nordic region). It is your duty to yourself to contact the department of infectious diseases before start.
  • Submit a travel story to: [email protected] (clinic yield) or [email protected](research Outcomes). Everyone who sends in his story last last September, 500 SEK back (is the deadline exchange in the summer months)

Here you will find a Template for travel stories. Please read the previous years travel stories inspiration!

Rules and Conditions

  1. Eligible?

Anyone reading the medical program and sometimes interns (see the respective country conditions). Preclinical students can apply for research exchanges, but in the clinic exchanges are accepted only if this is specified.

  1. I'm preclinical student, What do I look?

Students can even forward 5 adopted only for research yields. Looking clinic exchange you should then wait at least semester 4 when the application period opens. You'll then have completed the semester 5 next summer in order to search all clinical exchanges.

  1. I'm studying abroad, do I apply for exchange through IFMSA-Sweden?

Since most countries have medical training has its own national IFMSA organization, we offer only medical students from Swedish universities to go on exchange through IFMSA-Sweden. If you study abroad refer you to apply for exchange through the IFMSA in the country you are studying.

  1. Application Dates and deadlines

The application opens 20 September and it is free to submit an application no later than 20 October and all applicants before the deadline given priority as. Deadline for Application Form listed above. Documents received after the deadline, you risk losing your exchange placement, and is unfortunately not refund the entry fee.

  1. paper documents

Descriptions of the most common documents can be found under the "Documents" tab below. It is your responsibility to arrange all the documents that the host country would have before deadline (we do not control that you have sent all the documents, and we assume no responsibility for failure to comply with the host country conditions).

  1. How priority to?

All applications are prioritized as a specific priority system. How it is regulated, you can read here.

  1. Wherever I end up?

In the conditions of each country is stated which cities, clinics and periods you can search. If you are admitted, you get on this information to make a priority list of where and when you want to go. The host country is trying as far as possible fulfill your desires, but it is not always possible and IFMSA-Sweden can not influence this. You are guaranteed to come to the country and the period you have searched; Otherwise, you can opt out and get the deposit refunded. We can not guarantee that you will be in the place you wanted. You will not be placed in your desired location / clinic is not a valid reason to bring back the entry fee.

  1. What language terms?

The official language is English in IFMSA. Some countries require a second language skills. Always check this in the country-specific exchange terms located under Forskningsutbyten/clinical Exchanges. As the English language certificate should normally suffice with the English translation school grades.

  1. When exchange occurs?

The exchange lasts for four weeks, to two weeks where specifically indicated. In exceptional cases, longer periods possible; This applies primarily to research exchanges. Usually you only full calendar months sought. If nothing is stated about this in the information of the country, it means that you can choose the date you want to go. Note that IFMSA-Sweden can not influence whether you get the time you entered.

  1. What is included in the exchange?

A place in a department for a month with supervisors. meals (usually lunches in weeks), Housing and usually a social program. Sometimes, instead of food money to buy their own food. In exceptional cases, included food. You also get after the exchange, a certificate for completed work experience exchange in IFMSA:s regi. The trip pay and arrange it yourself.

  1. What is the exchange?

the registration fee is 3000 SEC. This includes the 500 kr which you get back if you submit a travel report no later than the end of September. In the so-called unilateral exchanges pay fees directly to the host country for food and accommodation. Usually this fee 450 EUR.

  1. If I do not get any place?

Final decision about whether you have been accepted by us you will receive immediately after application fee. Then the selection process of our part. Guaranteed spot, you will be only when the host sent a card of Acceptance (THAT), an official letter of admission, to you. This is sent to you via the database that you can access when you finally adopted by us. This can sometimes linger, so please let us nationally responsible if you miss your about six weeks before your internship exchange begins. The money will be refunded if you do not get any of your requests. We strongly recommend that you have cancellation insurance for your trip, because IFMSA never replace the travel costs if your trip will not take place. If you do not get any place, you have the opportunity to apply residual places. It pops up a few such as those advertised on this web site.

  1. cancellation

If you choose to cancel your seat replaced you depending on when you waive your exchange. Contact NEO-out or NORE-in to get information on whether to get back the full amount or part of the amount paid in..

When canceling exchange after 1/12/2022 no refund will be made.

  1. Case History

Students who are forced to cancel the planned replacement due to illness get back the full registration fee upon presentation of a medical certificate which advises against travel. Even in death or serious illness in the immediate family may be the entry fee refunded on production of the certificate. Decisions concerning reimbursement taken by NRC-out and NORE-out in consultation. There is no refund where the disease occurs after the exchange began.

  1. OUT

Students who applied for the exchange to a country where the Foreign Ministry after the exchange dividends changed their recommendation to get the money back if the hen does not want to go. In the rare cases where the UD dissuasion already earlier and unexpected events (ex. terrorist, natural) the country changes the conditions for departure after the exchange can be distributed refunds given after discussion with NRC-out and NORE-out.

common questions

  1. What kind of insurance do I need?

We recommend that you use the travel insurance included in your contents insurance. In special cases, if you need to be assured beyond this, it should be stated in your host country specific exchange terms.

Most countries accept a copy of your insurance even if it does not really cover the work of the clinic abroad. Then you are of course not protected in case something would happen and IFMSA can not guarantee you financial protection.

Sometimes demanded a socalled. ”Liability Insurance”; this is the case, we recommend that you contact your insurance company, explain that you are going to participate in medical practice and needs mentioned insurance, and see what they can offer. It is important that you always make sure that you are fully covered if disaster strikes!

IFMSA also in collaboration with Dr. Walter Insurance developed a Medical Malpractice Insurance specifically for our clinical exchanges. Read more HERE.

  1. What kind of English certificates do I need?

Unless otherwise stated in the country-specific exchange terms would a high school diploma translated into English as proof of your English skills. If you have had an international English test, example IELTS, this is of course preferable.

  1. When will I receive final decision about which period I get, as well as on the clinic and in which city?

This information can be found in your "Card of Acceptance" (THAT) sent no later than eight weeks before your replacement will begin (see further up on this page). Unfortunately, IFMSA-Sweden not accelerate this process, but it is entirely in the host country's hands.

  1. What if I do not come on time, to the city or clinic, I sought?

IFMSA-Sweden can only guarantee you a place in the country you have applied for, as well as the current period, you want to go. If you would not have the time or the country you entered, you are entitled to get your registration fee 3000 SEK back. However, if you are located in another city or another clinic than you wanted, you have no right to get your money back. IFMSA-Sweden can therefore only guarantee you the correct period and country.

  1. What is the "Letter from the Dean"?

Some countries want that you attach a "Letter from the Dean" to your application form (OF). With Dean meant Dean. Unfortunately, there is usually no real equivalent to that of our Swedish universities. What you can do then is to contact responsible for your medical training and ask that person to write a "letter of Dean". This letter must contain a declaration that you are studying to become a doctor and a recommendation that you are suitable to go on an internship- or research Outcomes in IfM auspices, and signature and contact information for 'Dean'.

  1. What should a "motivation letter" contain?

With a "motivation letter" means a description of why you want to do an internship exchange at a particular clinic, and why you are interested in going to the country / city. This letter is not a resume but rather a short (max 1 A4) description of why you are looking at the replacement site.

  1. Where the documents attached?

You can find a description of the documents under the "Documents" tab below. Your documents must usually be attached digitally to your application form (OF). If it is stated that they want "hard copies" sent by regular mail, it is that of (see further up on this page).

  1. What locations can I apply that prekliniker?

As preclinical students are free to search all research exchanges! As for the clinic exchanges we sometimes preclinical exchanges reserved for preclinical students, and which countries this applies varies from year to year, and indicated in such a case, the list of countries. You go where on a normal four-week exchange at the clinic despite the preclinical student. For all exchanges preclinical students can apply, they have priority over clinical students. Sometimes it is required that the preclinical student should have completed a certain number of semesters; specified in that case.

  1. What do I do if I want to go along with one other person?

If you want to go along with one other person, you can write it in your application. However, it is still the same priority as valid as there is a risk that one gets a place while the other is not. Write therefore the application if you're willing to go on your own if only you get to the site, or if you're in that case, would give it to someone else. In such cases it may well be that both of you can fit in a country you have prioritized lower.


Have you been nominated for exchange with IFMSA you will gain access to a contract on our international database, which must be completed and submitted. You should also upload a number of documents, and below are the most commonly requested. It is important that you read the "Exchange Conditions" for your destination then it is often specified what comes around requested documents.

  1. curriculum vitae:

In this case demanded a standard Curriculum Vitae. Make sure to include experiences that are healthy- and medicine-related.

  1. Health Insurance:

Most students buy regular insurance through its insurance companies. See the "Exchange Conditions" for your destination on this specifies the requirements regarding insurance. Sometimes demanded a socalled. ”Liability Insurance”; this is the case, we recommend that you contact your insurance company, explain that you are going to participate in medical practice and needs mentioned insurance, and see what they can offer. It is important that you always make sure that you are fully covered if disaster strikes!

  1. Language Certificate:

Unless otherwise requested, it is sufficient in this case with high school diploma translated into English. This should be possible to arrange for you to contact your school.

  1. Motivation Letter:

You write a motivation letter for each target area (t.ex. one for your cardiology placement, a Department of Paediatrics, etc.). Explain why you want fetched placement and what makes you a suitable candidate. Even if the messages should be individual use many more or less the same motivation in all four letters. Try to write short; aim for between a half to a full A4 by letter.

  1. Proof of Enrollment:

This is a common Ladok registry certificate. Make sure it is translated into English.

  1. Student Record (Subjects Passed):

Although this is a common Ladok certificates of completed courses. Make sure it is translated into English.

  1. Letter of Recommendation:

This is a short letter of recommendation, a suggestion from the Dean of your Faculty of Medicine, where you will be recommended for participation in medical exchanges. Contact your international coordinator, to be able to arrange this.

  1. Vaccination Card:

This is a common vaccination card with stamp / signature in the vaccinations you have . If you have not left this document may contact the vaccination office and see if you can get a certificate / new vaccinations. Mainly usually vaccination certificate for Hepatitis B and tuberculosis in demand.

9.Terms and conditions:

This document should be printed, signed, scanned, and charged. You'll find it here.